As a medium, short form videos (TikTok/Reels/Shorts) really do detract from life:
- The interface is addictive so you’ll waste time you could be spending with people, building a second income, or furthering your education.
- It’s highly stimulative, so you’ll shorten your attention span and your brain’s ability to learn or be still and present.
- All you see is the finished product, the vacation, the wealth, the beauty, the success, the happiness, so it makes you dissatisfied with your own life and reality.
- Filters and digital manipulation mean that most of what you see isn’t real.
- It’s creating a culture where people will do anything for attention.
|Tik Tok||Just deleted it! It’s also a Chinese company and you don’t know what they may be doing with your data.|
|Accessibility, display, and languages > Data usage > Autoplay and turn it off.|
|Delete the app and use instagram.com on your mobile. This hides the Reels tab and stops autoplaying videos in the main feed.|
|Delete the app and use facebook.com on your mobile. They hide marketplace on the tabs when browsing, but you can still visit facebook.com/marketplace/ to use it. This was get rid of Reels. You can also disable autoplaying videos using Settings & Privacy > Settings > Videos and turn of autoplay.|
|YouTube||Delete the app and use the mobile app to hide the shorts tab. Use Brave browser for a better experience and be able to use picture in picture, or background audio with the screen locked.|